As a peer run organization, all our employees bring a breadth and depth of knowledge acquired through our own lived experience with the challenges of mental illness, substance use or homelessness. Our experience allows us to provide support and guidance to our consumers from a place of empathy and understanding. In essence, we are those we serve.
Recovery Program Solutions of Virginia (RPSV) hires exceptional people who share our vision and values. This position is responsible for kitchen organization and daily meal preparation. The Cook will lead a team of kitchen staff in order to complete daily food preparation and ensure the RPSV Kitchen/Food policy is met. This position requires the highest quality of service to the participants and employees at all times.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations can be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of this position.
- Lead kitchen staff in daily operations of breakfast and lunch preparation;
- Manage Kitchen Assistants;
- Plan menu;
- Cook, heat and re-heat food items;
- Select food items from serving and storage areas and place them on trays;
- Notify Program Coordinator when supplies are getting low and equipment is not working properly;
- Create shopping lists;
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage;
- Maintain work areas in a sanitary and orderly manner;
- Wash, peel and cut various foods to prepare for cooking and serving;
- Prepare and serve a variety of beverages such as coffee, tea, and juice;
- Arrange tables and eating utensils according to process;
- Clean and organize eating and service areas;
- Ensure kitchen appliances and equipment have been cleaned and turned off at the end of each workday;
- Report any health and/or safety concerns/violations immediately to Program Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Two years of experience working in a kitchen or restaurant involving direct food preparation;
- Ability to lift and/or move objects and/or kitchen equipment weighing up to 35 lbs.;
- Ability to use hands to seize, hold, grasp, tum, or otherwise in order to chop, whisk, slice, stir, juice and/or demonstrate other techniques;
- Must be able to read and follow recipes;
- Must ensure that work area remains clean;
- Identify mental health, substance use and physical health emergencies and respond with appropriate actions, requesting support from other staff and connect participants with appropriate emergency services when needed;
- Show effective communication skills that can ensure cooperative work between employees in order to run a successful kitchen.
Certificates and Licenses Required:
- Completion of High School or GED Certificate.